Monday, March 22, 2010

Oysters - Not Just Slimy Shellfish



I am what you would call a "picky oyster eater." While I enjoy the slimy little shellfish, I want them steamed, dipped in butter, strategically placed on the center of a Saltine cracker, with a dab of cocktail sauce, hot sauce and a splash of lemon. I know there are lots of beach bums out there who would scoff at my oyster preparation, but what can I say? I just can't imagine leaning over the side of the boat in the marsh and slurping raw oysters straight from the ocean. [shivering] [oh, and now gagging a little]

But I do love a good oyster roast. I don't even care if it's a month with an "R," which I heard doesn't matter anymore, I love one anytime! There's something about working for your food (probably why I like boiled peanuts so much, too) and not having to wash dishes after dinner -- just hosing off your plywood table.

And I like beer.

So it's no wonder I'm pretty excited about the Contemporaries' Annual Oyster Roast this Wednesday! If it's anything like last year's, there will be hot oysters, salty crackers, cold beer and a whole bunch of Columbia's best young professionals.

If you have been living in a cave being anti-social, let me give you a little info about the Contemporaries:

* The Contemporaries' is a group affiliated with the Columbia Museum of Art (which rocks, did you know there is a Monet there??) for young, good-looking professionals in Columbia.

* Although they throw some rockin' parties, they also are into art. This spring they will be installing the chandelier by world renowned glass artist Dale Chihuly, which is a big deal. Google his name, you'll see I'm right. But, don't worry, every installation deserves a couple big parties. Another great event this spring will be the Contemporaries Artist of the Year in May.

But back to the oyster roast...you'll be there on Wednesday, right? It starts at 5:30pm and will be right downtown at Boyd Plaza. That's the big concrete area in front of the Columbia Museum of Art on the corner of Main Street and Hampton Street. There's a ginormous fountain, you can't miss it. In fact, if you work downtown, you really have no excuse not to walk on down to share a couple oysters with some fun people. Cost is free for Contemporaries members and just a mere $5 for non-members. $5 for unlimited oysters and beer -- I can't believe why you wouldn't come! There will be great music provided by PINNA (which I just looked up on MySpace and they're really good! You may have also seen them at St. Patrick's Day in 5 Points).

And don't worry if you're a picky oyster eater like me. Come stand near me and we'll trade oyster eating secrets! My best secret: Find someone who really looks like they know what they're doing. Compliment them on their oyster shucking technique. Bat your eyelashes and ask sweetly for him to show you how he does it. Enjoy your oysters all night without ever touching a knife! Genius!

Enjoying Art and Parties,

Mary Douglass
Columbia Contemporaries

No comments:

Post a Comment